martes, 29 de marzo de 2011

MR. BUSH, YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO TAKE A WALK WITH ME

Now I leave the books, which the former taught me to not to wish just materialist things for being happy and the later showed me how cruel people can be and that I cannot change that fact, for passing to treat two of the songs I like the most, and the first one is Dear Mr. President by Pink.
Well, I have to add to all that I will say later that I have always loved Pink, whose real name is Alecia Beth Moore, a US singer who has a lot of principles I agree with and that has no problem in showing either what she thinks or feels, and that is something I do like from her. So, I had heard lots of songs of her before listening to this one, but no one had ever made me feel as Dear Mr. President.
I think I might start from the beginning: the songs I consider the best are the ones that not only have music but also very deep lyrics, what makes them to reach my heart when I HEAR them, and make me think that they are worth enough to be LISTENED, again and again.
So, it was summertime when a friend of mine passed to me the video clip of this song and, when I heard it, I fell in love with it. It is like a letter to the ex USA President George Bush from Pink, who asks him why did he do all those things that a good person would ever do.
First of all, I was shocked by the way the song starts because it says “Dear Mr. President, come take a walk with me. Let’s pretend we’re just two people and you’re not better than me. I’d like to ask you some questions if we can speak honestly”. This called my attention because it does not say his real name; she says the position of Bush, as if what he cares about is of being an important person and not a good one, who would be remembered by his name and not by his charge. In fact, the next sentence says that they are going to pretend he is not better than her, because what is sure is that Bush believes he’s better than the rest of us. And this is because of something as stupid as he is “someone” in this world, because everybody knows who he is, and we all are “nobody” because we are unknown, the thing that makes Pink not to deserve his lucky presence (what Bush thinks, SURE). Moreover, Pink asks Bush for being honestly, because she knows that he does not think that is something you should be always…he is pretending and lying all the time, as far as he has believed his own lies. So, I found that Pink was right in all she “said” to Bush, and I really love the way she did it: Pink says the true things she want to say to him hidden behind sentences that have an allegedly respect, and it is, in my opinion, a very intelligent trick.
After this, Pink starts to ask questions to Bush and, although I really love all of them, I wanted to highlight my favorite ones.
The first one is “What do you feel when you see all the homeless on the street?” because when I see all those poor people I feel really sad and I think that, if it will depend on me, I will try to do something for them… at least, I will have the intention to help them, although I would finally do not. And, as Pink, I also wonder if those who have the power to help poor people feel wrong too when they, from their amazing cars and houses, see how miserable is the lives of the others, the ones who cannot eat even. In my opinion, powerful people do not walk through the street to see what is going on, and if they do it, I am almost sure that they try not to see how horrible could be the life when you do not have anything, and Bush is one of that people.
The second one is “And what kind of father might hate his own daughter if she were gay?” I know homosexual people and some of them are part of my family, and I know that they never told to their parents that they are gay because they know their progenitors did not accept the homosexuality as something perfectly normal and acceptable; they punished that behavior. Also, I know that this was a boundary which did not let their son to feel understood and beloved by his parents, and which separated the one from the others. Moreover, I think that the homosexuality is not something you decide to be or do not (as you do not choose to be heterosexual) and it is a current, not bad thing because it hurts nobody. But, although you would not accept this way of living the sex, it does not have anything to do with you. So, as the heterosexual people have the right to be happy the way they want to, homosexual people too, and, in my opinion, the ones that think the homosexuality must be punished by law have a deep medieval point of view. So, medieval-but-current parents, if you loathe your son or your daughter because he or she is gay, the only one who lose are you.
And the third one is not a question, is a statement that says “Let me tell you about the hard work. Rebuilding your house when the bombs took it away” When I first heard this sentence, I wept because of how much sadness and truth hides inside. I, as Pink does, think that people like George Bush Jr. do not know what is to work really hard to get an aim. And, what is worst, they cannot picture in the situation of the common people who are the flock of sheep that can be killed because of the wrong decisions powerful people take.
Finally, I would like to focus the attention on the fact that the song comes stronger from the beginning to the end, as we can see from the three sentences I chose. The first one and the second one are questions, the thing that makes them more soft, although the latter is more reproachful than the former; but the third one is an statement which objective is almost openly denounce Mr. Bush behavior. Moreover, I wanted to say that, because of all that you have done, Mr. Bush, you are the one who do not deserve to take a walk with any of us…you do not deserve to delight in our lucky presence, as my beloved Pink told you in the last part of this wonderful song.
By the way, Pink, my answer to the last sentence you say in your song, "Would you?", which is dedicated to us all, is: I would not take a walk with Mr. Bush because he does not DESERVE it.

P.S: Here, you folks, have the song, for the ones who want to through their eardrums with truths.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario