domingo, 2 de enero de 2011

GLOBALIZATION

The type of media I use the most is the Internet, but I don’t do it very frequently.
One of the reasons why I search the information I need in the Internet is because there is further information than in any other types of media, as TV or newspapers. What I usually look for is a very specific information, about things like arts, literature or languages, which are very difficult to find in other kinds of media.
Another reason is that the information in the Internet is available whenever I need it, so I can search for it when I want to do it. Nevertheless, this does not happen with TV, which grants the information at specific hours, or with the newspapers, the ones I have to buy in the morning to know what happens in the world I live in.
But I also know that the Internet is full of lies, so I have to know something about what I’m going to search before doing it. And the worst part is that I have realized that the more I search the less things I find to be completely true.
Despite that, I still prefer the Internet for finding the information I need.
By the way, I wanted to add that the Internet is very connected with globalization, and that is something that makes people feel afraid, but, as far as I am concerned, that is a generalization.
It’s true the world seems to be dominated by big business, but the effects of this are exaggerated. I explain:
On the one hand, some people say globalization is unfair. Whereas people who live in rich countries have benefited from international trade, the natural resources of poorer countries have been devastated by multinationals that don’t re-invest their profits in the local economies. Moreover, traditional jobs have been lost without being replaced by new ones, so even the word ‘globalization’ has become a term of abuse for many people.
But, on the other hand, I think one of the key features of globalization, that is the Internet, has the power to improve the world. I think communication is the key to progress and for this reason I believe that the Internet can improve the lives of ordinary people. In fact, as I said at the beginning of the script, the Internet is one of the most democratic inventions of all time, although it was originally developed for business, because it allows us the chance to do with it whatever we want to.
So, to finish up, saying that is our power to let globalization be something fair or unfair, as everything in our lives.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario